Along with our primary Game of the Year Awards 2021, every member of the PC Gamer group is shining a highlight on a sport they cherished this 12 months. We’ll submit new employees picks, alongside our primary awards, all through the remainder of the month.
Battlefield 2042 is likely one of the most bickered-about video games of the 12 months. Earlier than it had totally launched Reddit was overflowing with participant criticisms about perceived lacking options like “no diving whereas swimming,” “no customized emblems,” “no customary server browser,” and “no map-altering levolution.” This, argument that loads of issues had been “eliminated” from Battlefield 2042, dominated the weeks earlier than and after launch.
In these posts, considered one of which tallied 103 sins Battlefield 2042 had dedicated, gamers additionally complained that the sequence had modified an excessive amount of: They wished outdated stuff to come back again and new stuff, corresponding to Specialists, to be flushed into the sewer of deserted Battlefield concepts the place Battlelog remains to be floating round.
Among the gripes have been trivial (“no swelling crescendo of dramatic music on the finish of a match,” learn a line in essentially the most upvoted submit of all time within the Battlefield 2042 subreddit), some have been simply unfaithful (“no ammo or well being pickup off of teammates”), and a few have been true however did not strike me as issues (“completely zero cowl between seize zones.”) In any case, this narrative that Battlefield gamers had been wronged blanketed 2042, spilling out into 70,000 Steam opinions that stay, in mixture, “Principally Destructive.”
One widespread Reddit submit cheerfully rang within the arrival of unfavourable person opinions: “The slaughter has begun.”
However I had a reasonably good time with it. I put 55 hours into Battlefield 2042 earlier than the vacation break. I loved gelling with a semi-auto marksman rifle, the DM7. I believed the preliminary overpowered “Spider-Man hovercraft meta” was hilarious and quintessentially Battlefield. “Even after twenty years of streamlining, Battlefield nonetheless has nice comedic timing,” Tyler wrote in his Battlefield 2042 review.
Feeling this fashion put me on the other aspect of a smoldering web rage fireplace. I used to be having a very totally different expertise from 1000’s of offended gamers. What did I like about 2042? The same old Battlefield stuff. Feeling dwarfed by its scale, which had doubled to 128 gamers. The expertise of carving out a nook of the map for your self and breaking an enemy’s advance. Leaping out of the bushes to lob the proper AT spherical at a tank. Using shotgun with an ace pilot and admiring their work.
Do not get me fallacious—I had my very own, not insubstantial set of complaints. Within the spirit of these breathless Reddit posts and person opinions, I will record them right here:
Among the stuff that irritated me whereas taking part in Battlefield 2042
- Crashing to desktop about one-in-every-six instances I performed the sport, typically on the very finish of a match.
- Jamming the 1 key three, 4 instances to modify to my main weapon and it not registering. I would additionally expertise this whereas making an attempt to tug my parachute 10 meters above the bottom.
- A modest 60-70 fps on an RTX 3080 (at 3440×1440, admittedly)
- Below-explained gear performance. It took me 10 hours to comprehend that Angel can name down a loadout-switching crate by right-clicking whereas utilizing his armor packs. There is a fireplace choose button and a separate key that switches to your grenade launcher on particular weapons. I nonetheless have not bothered to determine how you can change between optics on dual-optic scopes. Hacking is a slight thriller.
- The unresponsive and finicky recognizing system, a deterioration from earlier Battlefields.
- The animation glitch whereas susceptible the place some a part of my character’s physique retains twitching, wobbling my imaginative and prescient whereas aiming.
- Maps not being initially designed with Breakthrough mode in thoughts. A number of maps culminated in a state that I can solely describe as “the defending group sits atop an impregnable rooftop” that anybody on Earth may’ve advised you is not enjoyable.
- Generally, it feels frustratingly unpredictable the place I will spawn after I click on a seize level.
- The unfathomable energy of the PP-29 earlier than it obtained patched, holy cats. Why use some other gun when there’s one which kills everybody twice as quick?
These items undoubtedly ate at my enjoyment. I had dozens of irritating deaths to that enter bug—I feel it is each FPS participant’s nightmare to hammer their main weapon key and get no reply from the sport. However even these apparent, goal issues did not hold me from taking part in. At any second I may’ve swapped over to the largely beloved, free Halo sport that was simply sitting there on Steam! (I performed that, too, however Halo’s sci-fi gunplay is simply too arena-shooter for my style). I put 5 hours into Halo Infinite in comparison with the 55 I put into Battlefield.
The entire expertise has been a reminder that it is all proper to take pleasure in a sport and proceed taking part in it whereas being conscious of its flaws. This behavior of publicly swearing off video games that has sprung up from the “dead game” rhetoric is toxic to the passion and it spreads shortly. Everybody has a proper to be sad, however watching the response to Battlefield 2042 this 12 months bolstered that we’re more and more gaming in a time the place, for some, the social media-trained need to really feel aggrieved and victimized by your leisure for some folks outweighs the expertise of taking part in the sport itself.
Every time I doubted myself within the face of those partitions of bullet-pointed offended Battlefield posts, although, I simply jumped into Conquest and did one thing silly. You possibly can drop a hovercraft on high of a skyscraper, drive it off the sting, and float to the bottom prefer it’s some type of magic carpet balloon with a minigun on it. I am not uninstalling that anytime quickly.