Modder Kebby_Quake has spat within the face of Shub-Niggurath, making a mod for Quake that replaces weapons, enemies, and pickups with Lego facsimiles, bringing a childlike innocence and whimsy to the grotesque, Trent Reznor-scored FPS.
Kebby’s work is spectacular, and demonstrates the identical impish humorousness because the Lego Star Wars video games. Humanoid enemies have been changed with minifigs, whereas extra complicated foes just like the Scrag have trustworthy block-based designs. I am particularly keen on what Kebby did with the sport’s weapons. They constructed the Tremendous Shotgun with a double-stack of these one-peg, barrel-shaped Legos, whereas the Nailgun now fires out tiny Lego studs as its projectiles.
Maybe most enjoyable of all, should you handle to straight hit an enemy with the Grenade or Rocket Launcher, their gibs are actually tasteful crimson bricks, and their cute Lego head would possibly simply go flying off.
Kebby properly avoids any direct Lego associations, completely referring to the plastic parts of this new world as “blocks” with a wink and a nudge. I’ve to think about they’re secure, although, if egregious Lego competitor Mega Bloks might stay unchallenged legally for thus lengthy. This is not Nintendo we’re speaking about right here.
Kebby is not completed with Block Quake and has an inventory of formidable (and hilarious) options they plan to implement sooner or later:
- Add some blocky themed sound results for weapons, enemies and objects.
- Create new customized blocky themed HUD and GUI graphics.
- Attainable mod help for on-line multiplayer modes like QuakeWorld CTF (perhaps!)
- End the brand new gibbed-limbs and blocky blood fashions for the CustomC supply code overhaul model.
- As soon as CustomC is full, implement the brand new supply code adjustments into the ProgsDump model.
- Censor the whole sport and take away any mature themed content material and change it with age applicable materials.
- End the Blocky WAD textures by including extra brick sample selection and coloration choices.
- Create some Blocky themed maps in Trenchbroom and perhaps have a Block Quake Map Jam! (ultimately)
Lastly, the child-appropriate Quake I used to be denied in 1996 at one 12 months outdated. Block Quake is appropriate with the a number of supply ports of the sport, in addition to Nightdive’s wonderful remaster. Block Quake is out there for obtain on Kebby_Quake’s GitHub and itch.io pages, and here is some footage of the mod running in the remaster’s horde mode.